7/4/11

Moments to Treasure

I often get caught up on the hamster wheel of doing, running on auto pilot, with a daily list of to do’s, deadlines that must be met, and projects that need to be started. Having a creative mind keeps me very busy, and full of great ideas which I am always starting.
However from time to time, I am reminded or forced to stop and just be; presented with moments which take my breath away and are full of beauty.

Virginia recently joined our team. She was presented to me by a loyal team member, with the promise that they would work together in order to bring Virginia up to speed. Little did I know that Virginia was an experienced knitter, and had been trying to get on Knitting Peace’s radar for some time.

She has been on our team for almost two months, and in that time frame has consistently presented beautiful work with a speed I had not known possible for hand knitting.  However that is not what has impressed me most about Virginia.  What impressed me most is her tremendous capacity to bring lightness and positive attitude to any situation; I find her light heartedness inspiring. I remind you, Virginia and all my knitters are incarcerated, making light heartedness hard to imagine, given their circumstances.

One day, while I was waiting for one of my knitters to show me her work, Virginia sat next to me and began to share her story. She is a mother of 3; her children are 14, 12 and 9, and they currently live with her mother. During her incarceration she has worked in the kitchen or laundry department which provides a monthly wage of less than $50, hardly enough to support 3 children, herself and pay for legal fees.

Virginia shared that she had heard about Knitting Peace and considered trying to get on our team since last year, but was afraid her knitting skills weren't good enough and was intimidated by our work. Luckily for me, she got over that and is now a valued team member, making more than twice the amount she earned in the kitchen or laundry.  Her ability to provide for her children has improved substantially and I am so happy the demand for our beautiful pieces allows me to support her talent and the sustainability of her family.

In this cycle of life, we are all one. One’s needs are joined synchronistically to another’s talent by the invisible light that binds us all. What a blessing and privilege it is for me to support and help that light grow.

Virginia’s specialty: Knitting Peace's Versatile Scarves




No comments:

Post a Comment