5/16/11

Making Survival as easy as Breathing...

Life has been full of surprises, one being my recent marriage which turned Knitting Peace’s routine upside down. Apparently I had an internal bride sleeping within who took over my life for two months, and I watched myself get taken down the wedding rabbit whole, in the midst of a whirlwind of wedding dresses, color pallets, up-do’s, half-do’s, flower arrangements, round cakes, square cakes, party favors, center pieces and a million more details… exhausting, yet so tempting I couldn’t help but to allow my internal bride follow her hearts fairy tale wishes.


As the wedding date came near, Eulogia and Emiliana (2 of my most loyal and hard working knitters) pulled me aside, they had concerns to share with me. They confessed they were worried that my new role as a wife would consume my time, and focus; keeping me too occupied for Knitting Peace and them. At first, my initial reaction was aloof, since that hardly seemed possible, and continues to seem unlikely. I love my work, and feel more focused than ever. However, after taking some time to sit with what they were expressing I understood that their fear was very real for them, and shouldn’t be dismissed.


I realized that not only were they worried about their future survival, but that these women were also carrying their experience of being an indigenous woman in Bolivia, which more often than not meant having multiple children, and carrying the burden and weight of their families survival and well being; in a society that limited their potential to break out of their cultural box and offered few opportunities for a future in which their children thrive. 


Once again my girls teach me, and remind me that my reality is not always the rule or the exception, and when working with these strong spirited women, it’s important to listen beyond their words, and step into their shoes for a bit, in order to offer a new light to their perspective; meeting them where they are and share a new vantage point.


In providing new perspectives and opportunities we are able to break walls, limitations, and open doors for future generations to expand beyond our projected reality. In doing so, we can achieve together a world in which all women will have the opportunity to experience their inner fairytale wishes, childlike dreams and the sweetness of committing to a life in which we each can thrive, making survival no longer a burden, but as easy and natural as breathing. 

~ Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment