8/6/11

Learning to Knit Again

Learning how to knit at the age of 9 was challenging, especially since I am left handed. I remember being one of the only girls in my class to actually do the knitting assignments myself. Most girls in my 4th grade class had their nannies or grandmothers do their knitting homework for them. Although I had a hard time learning how to knit I still loved it, and practiced constantly until I was able to figure out on my own how to combine and create stitches which were new to me. 
Last week, my knitting skills where challenged yet again. I decided to learn how to knit on a machine, with the intention of designing our new Knitting Peace knitwear. Luckily for me my mother in law is an expert knitter (hand and machine) and was kind enough to teach me the basics of machine knitting. After a few hours of playing with the machine, and getting a handle on what mistakes to avoid, I was able to knit this piece.  It’s my first, and I love it… as I loved the first tiny scarf I made, with my pink yarn back in the day of pigtails and chubby fingers.
I know it doesn’t look like much, but it’s a start.

 Learning to Machine Knit

No comments:

Post a Comment