1/16/12

Homemade cookies from jail


Well over a year ago, Eulogia who is an integral part of my team of incarcerated knitters suggested I hire her husband Victor to knit for Knitting Peace. At first, I have to admit I was hesitant, it seemed logistically complicated, and I wasn’t sure he knew how to knit. You see, Victor is also incarcerated. He is in Chonchocoro, which is the high security prison in La Paz, located about an hour outside of the city. I have no idea why he is incarcerated; however Eulogia is allowed to visit him twice a month.  

She assured me his knitting skills were just as good as or better than my girls, and she proved herself worthy of her word. Victor is not only a really good knitter, but he has on more than one occasion gone without sleep in order to meet our deadlines. 


At Chonchocoro some of the inmates have cel phone privileges; therefore Victor and I have had the opportunity to speak, although we have yet to meet face to face. He is a very gentle and sweet man; he loves to knit for us, and takes our work very seriously. On many occasions he has delivered his work faster than my female knitters, making sure he has things ready for me when Eulogia goes to visit him. She happily delivers him the yarn I give her, and on her next visit brings back the finished pieces. The logistical nightmare I had initially feared is a no brainer and I am very pleased with the results. 

Victor shared with me that he is also taking baking lessons and learning how to make all kinds of sweets. Upon one of Eulogia’s returns from visiting him, she not only delivered a beautifully knit piece, but also a sweet little bag of anis and orange cookies which Victor had sent me. They were delicious, and filled with the sweetness of gratitude, and I happily ate them all in return.

~Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment